Saturday, June 19, 2010

Today, Raleigh. Tomorrow, Fairbanks.

This time tomorrow I will be sitting on a plane on my way to Fairbanks, Alaska. Until yesterday as of 8 pm, my flight was going to be 3 legs, first to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, next to Minneapolis, Minnesota, and then finally to Fairbanks. Apparently Delta did some switcharoo, and now I just have one layover in Minneapolis. I am a little disappointed to not be stopping in Wisconsin, but I promise that I'll get there one day. And I guess just visiting the airport doesn't really count. But tomorrow will definitely be a long day. I leave RDU around 11 am (eastern) and arrive in Fairbanks at 5 pm their time, which is 9 pm in Raleigh. A 10 hour travel day will definitely be tough, but maybe I'll be able to catch a nap on the plane.

This past week has been pretty crazy trying to purchase last minute things and trying to find space to cram random objects into my duffel bag. Even as I'm sitting here typing, I'm thinking of things I forgot to pack (sunscreen!), so I imagine this process will continue until minutes before we leave for the airport tomorrow. I did a weigh-in for my luggage, and at the moment it tops off at 45 pounds, just below the max weight of 50 pounds. I'm a little worried, but I guess my bag will just get lighter as time goes on as my toiletries get used and such. This does seriously limit how much I can buy, but I suppose I don't really have the cash to go shopping wild.

So when I haven't been thinking of lists of things to pack for my trip, I've been spending a lot of the past week trying to see some of my friends before I go. Jeff and I have spend boatloads of time together (which just makes me cry when I think about leaving since I'm such an emotional baby), and we found the best way to cap off our time together before Alaska. Last night, we went to see Toy Story 3. I have been looking forward to this for months. But before the movie, we were wandering around Target and Jeff spotted these gems:


Yes, we totally rocked Toy Story shirts to the movie. The only problem was that the shirts were technically boy's shirts, so they were rather short, but we made it work. That was a great way to spend my last Friday night in Raleigh for 7 weeks. Plus, the movie was fantastic. It was really touching and I actually cried during it, which I can't remember doing in a Pixar movie since Finding Nemo. Jeff decided to be a great friend and made fun of me as I teared up in the theater, but he was just jealous that his heart is made of stone.

Anyway, I should probably wrap this up. My family and I are celebrating father's day tonight with a family dinner at one of our favorites -- On the Border. Time to stuff ourselves with some excellent Mexican food.

Next time, I'll be in Alaska! Since I'm paranoid and have lots of privacy controls on Facebook, none of my parents friends (or my parents) will be able to see any photos I post there, so I'll be sure to upload some to here for anyone's viewing pleasure. I've heard Alaska is one of the most beautiful places to visit (that's what the worker at Staples told me today and I think he's a legit source), so I can't wait to experience everything for myself.

1 comment:

  1. Aw Melissa!! hahah Toy Story 3, so perfect!
    I believe the worker at Staples too. One of my friends has been an official cruise tour guide in Alaska for the past four years and she swears up and down it's paradise. Just don't get eaten by any large animals. But of course if you're consumed by small rodents, that'll be okay. =P Just kidding! I just got back onto the social networking world and am making my way through stalking you. (It's Jackclyn, by the way! I need to straighten out all this blogging stuff...)

    ReplyDelete