Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Festival Weekend -- More Detailed

OK so most of my posts recently have been more photo oriented that actually telling what's been going on every day. So I feel like I have a decent amount to catch up on.

I think I've already done an update about Friday, so I'll start with Saturday. I don't actually remember much what happened during the day. I guess this is why I should do updated more regularly. It was probably a lazy day of just hanging around the house in the morning and then spending time downtown until dinner time. That's pretty much how most of my days with no class went. Saturday night there was a huge gathering in the circle of town with a stage set up. Everyone met up and we listened to music for a while. There was a guy who performed who was incredibly flamboyant and actually made some of the guys in our group a little uncomfortable. Apparently he's a big hit here, and I thought he was pretty funny. He sand some Lady GaGa, which was entertaining. I also got to hear the band that everyone went to see Friday night at one of the bars. They only played a few songs, but I enjoyed it since I didn't have to pay the 2500 krona like everyone else did. Free is always good.

That was also the night when I tasted the first alcoholic drink that didn't make me want to gag. I've only ever had sips of beer and wine before, but I think most of them are pretty awful. I don't get the appeal at all. But one of the guys bought some apple cider thing, and it wasn't half bad. Of course it tasted extremely sugary, which is also not appealing since I don't want to rot my teeth. I think I'll still just be sticking to water whenever I go out with everyone else.

However, Saturday night was a big night for me. Apparently it's a big thing here to break glass all over the place. Everyone told me that during the crazy weekend in Reykjavik, there would be glass all over the roads because people take their beer glasses/bottles out of bars and just drop them on the ground when they're done. And I'm assuming once people get drunk enough, they also have some fun with breaking bottles. Well, one of the guys gave me his finished beer bottle and I got to break it on a wall. I did feel a little guilty, but it was fun, and I did it in an area where people probably wouldn't be walking. I wouldn't want anyone to get cut by the glass. So I glad I finally got to have that experience. I feel like a true Icelander now.

Oh, this is jumping back a bit, but I remember what happened Saturday. My family had a barbecue with their relatives. There was lots of food and all the little kids were really cute. I couldn't say much to the kids because none of them knew English, but they were adorable so I just smiled at them. So that was during the day on Saturday.

Sunday morning would have been a great time to sleep in, but my home stay family decided to take me and Marty fishing again. So we left at 7am for a fishing spot about an hour away. I guess it was fun, though we hardly caught any fish. But they brought plenty of snacks, and the little girl and I ended up watching Hannah Montana in the car. So I can't really complain.

After fishing, one of my classmate's home stay family invited the whole group over for a cook out. We had chicken, lamb, and hot dogs, all of which were delicious. We also had an amazing dessert of grilled bananas that had cut of candy bars shoved inside of them. The chocolate got all melty and it was probably one of the best desserts I've ever had. I definitely plan on making that once I get home.

Sunday night was the big concert that I posted photos from earlier. We got to hear a couple more bands, some of which I recognized from the music at my home stay family's house. And the night ended with fireworks. All in all, a great weekend.

Monday was probably the laziest day I've had in a long time. I didn't even emerge from my room until noon, though I had woken up earlier than that. I just didn't want to get out of bed. We had a wonderful brunch of pancakes, sausage, eggs, and bacon around 1-ish, so I don't think I ended up getting dressed until after 2. Basically an ideal day, in my mind. After meeting everyone downtown at one of the cafes, it was back for dinner with the family. Then we were going to watch up because none of my family had seen it before. However, Marty's DVD didn't work; something about the region not being right. So we watched Princess and the Frog instead. It was the third time I've seen it and I love it even more. The songs are so enjoyable and I feel like Disney really hit it out of the park with that one.

Tuesday was our last day of class. We had to present our project that we've been working on for the entire trip. It was rather boring, but we all got through it. We celebrated the end of class with lunch at a local bakery; the soup and bread bowl and top notch. That night was our last night with the family. We had one last meal together of lasagna and garlic bread. Then we went to the Christmas house, a place with tons of decorations and other cute things. I'll post photos as soon as I get them uploaded. After that, we had grilled bananas again with ice cream. I don't know if that's an Iceland thing, but it really is very tasty. And it seems like it can't be too bad for you considering bananas are fruit. Of course once you load it down with chocolate and ice cream, that's a completely different story...

Anyway, basically my time in Akureyri was incredible. I already miss my Icelandic family and I hope I'll be able to visit them again some day. But now we're on our road trip and it's time to see the rest of Iceland. After one day of traveling, I'm already exhausted, so it's bed time for me. I'll try and post an update tomorrow now on today and tomorrow's activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment