Monday, July 16, 2012

Exploring Bergen with My Dad!

On Friday July 6th, my dad arrived in Bergen! I arrived at the early airport about an hour early since I was so pumped to see him! Well that reason and that’s how the bus schedule worked out. Once we found each other in the (tiny) Bergen airport, we made our way downtown. My dad was lucky to arrive to slightly sunny skies rather than the cold and rain that welcomed me. After dropping our stuff off at the hotel, it was time for our first dinner together. And this was going to be my first time eating out in Bergen! The food is rather pricy, so I’ve been taking the cheap route of cooking all my meals.


We went to a small restaurant near the hotel. The food was tasty and served on HUGE plates/bowls. And while it was expensive (thanks for paying Dad!), it was by far the best meal I had had in over two months. And my dad seemed pretty happy to be in Bergen too!


First meal together in Bergen!


Cheers to being in Bergen!


Once we were finished with dinner (and after we finally got the check, which took a surprisingly long time), I showed Dad around Bergen. Not only was it a great feeling to finally see someone that I know, but it was great to be able to show people around the town that has become my home over the past two months. We visited the Bryggen, ate some ice cream, and enjoyed the sunshine far into the evening.


My dad and the bryggen.

Me and the bryggen.

10 pm and the sun is still out!


On Saturday, I convinced my dad to go up the Stoltzekleiven hike with me, the climb with the 800 some steps. It was a long journey to the top, but after a couple of breaks for us to catch our breath, we made it!

The weather this time was much better than the previous time I made the climb and we got a great view of Bergen. We also watched a cruise ship pull into the harbor, which reminded us of my grandparents.


My dad, making it the last few steps.

On top of the mountain!

Oh hey, it's a cruise ship! Bringing tons of people downtown.


Finally to finish the hike, we decided to head down the mountain in a different direction. The path past lots of scenic lakes, and I’m glad my dad got to enjoy the natural beauty that Bergen offers. After our hike, we both enjoyed a nap at our hotel before we headed to Fantoft where I cooked dinner for my dad. He also got to meet a couple of the guys on my hall and they were kind enough to chat with us for a while.

 
Which way do we go?

We woke to low clouds on Sunday morning, though the forecast for the afternoon was sunshine. Luckily the clouds did blow away before our fjord cruise! This was, by far, the most beautiful boat ride I’ve ever been on. Holy smokes, the views were incredible! It was a little chilly at times with the wind, but thankfully the crew offered blankets and sold hot chocolate. I’d have to say this was the highlight of the Bergen portion of our trip.


Little lighthouse.

Looking out over the fjord.

Good photo of us!



I thought this photo was funny because my dad's head looks so small!

And that wraps up our three days in Bergen. I’ll go into the next portion of our trip in the following post

No comments:

Post a Comment