Sunday, July 15, 2012

Updates about Bergen

Alright so it’s been quite some time before I’ve written any updates. And I’ve definitely got plenty to cover from the past month or so. First lets chat about Bergen.  I’ve been here about two months now and for the two or three weeks after my Copenhagen trip, nothing too out of the ordinary happened.

I visited the stave church that is only a few minutes walk from where I live. It’s a cute little church. Sadly I don’t think it’s the original structure since I’m pretty sure the first one burned down at some point. It’s surrounded by woods and it’s a nice place to go and read on weekends.

 Fantoft Stave Church.
 
Below is a photo of one of my friends and hallmates Andreas. He’s a champion at baking! He makes several loaves of bread each week and they’re always mighty tasty. We also made hummus together a few weeks ago. One weekend he spent almost all of Friday and Saturday baking and decorating a cake for his friends 25th birthday. I’d say it came out really nicely!
 
 Andreas looking proud with his gorgeous cake!

I’ve also done more hiking over the last several weeks. I met some trolls along the way, saw plenty of beautiful sights, and climbed up about 800 steps! That’s right, Bergen has a climb of between 600 and 800 steps up the side of a mountain! One cloudy Saturday I decided to give it a try. Holy smokes my legs were dead by the top! But I’m proud that I made it the whole way without my legs giving out. And once I got to the top, I got to look down on the city from a different angle, which was cool.

 Me and a troll (and a bunch of kids).

 Beautiful lake I passed on a hike.

 The sign for Stoltzekleiven, the hike of 600 - 800 steps (the actual amount is disputed).

 The beginning of the hike looks innocent enough.

Final steps at the very end. If you make it to the wood steps, you're practically at the top!

So that’s a brief overview of my last couple of weeks in Bergen. My next entry will be much more exciting – and with a surprise visitor!

No comments:

Post a Comment