Friday, July 2, 2010

A Busy Couple of Days

Today is Friday, yet I've thought it was Saturday all day long because it was our free day. And not having class led me to believe it was Saturday. Apparently I was wrong.

The past few days have been pretty busy, though I probably could have squeezed in the time for a couple of updates. I'm just lazy. Let's see if I can actually remember what's been going down.

Wednesday we had class and then toured a NOAA facility in the afternoon. It was pretty boring, though they did have gigantic satellite dishes, which they moved for us. That was cool. I also had gelato for the first time and that was incredible.

On Thursday we had class and a speaker in the morning. I won't be able to even begin to describe the speaker, but she was great. She was the only of our several guest speakers to talk about the social and cultural effects of global warming. It was pretty interesting. Not totally my cup of tea, but it was a nice break from the continuous science view of climate change.

Then in the afternoon, we visited this great place that studies cold weather housing. This building seemed to have all the latest technologies for keeping a home super efficient during the frigid winters that people experience in Fairbanks. The whole place was awesome, and it had a green roof. Now I really want to live somewhere that has the ability to have a green roof. They're so much better than a typical roof, plus they give you an extra place to hang out. This particular green roof had two sides -- one for a small gardening area and the other with a patio with tables and chairs. It was great.

No photos this time, but my next post should be a doozy. Tomorrow we're going to Denali and I'll finally get able to see the largest mountain in North America. I've been looking forward to this all summer. This weekend will definitely be a busy one because on Sunday we're moving on down to Anchorage. Which means that tonight is my last night in Fairbanks. I'll be sad to leave this place and I cannot believe it's already been two weeks. But I'm ready to move on and see new sights. Tomorrow should be incredible and I'm hoping it will even top the gorgeous trip to the Arctic Circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment