Monday, July 19, 2010

One Week in Iceland

I find it hard to believe that I've already been in Iceland for a week. I think we've had so much packed into our days, that time just flies. In less than three weeks, I'll be home. And then two weeks after that, it'll be time to go back to UNC for my sophomore year. It feels like I was just graduating high school, nervous about starting college. But now I'm in Iceland, my first time away from my parents (minus college and a few trips here and there). Life goes by so quickly.

I know when I started this blog, I wasn't a huge fan. My parents basically forced me into it. But now, after only one week of having it blocked, I find that I actually miss it. It's a weird feeling to know that I don't have access to everything online like I do at home. However, this gives me an excuse to come to this wonderful cafe, which is where I am now. I don't care that it's pretty warm outside, I'm enjoying some hot chocolate before I have to head back to the dorm and make dinner with one of my classmates. There is never a bad time for hot chocolate.

I don't really remember when the last time I updated this was, though nothing too exciting has happened the past few days. Both Saturday and Sunday morning I seemed to be one of the first members of my group that was awake since they spent the entire night bar hopping. Literally, the entire night. I think they made it until 6am, which is pretty impressive. Apparently bar hopping is big in Iceland. But since I was awake and everyone else was snoozing, I got to spend lazy mornings at the exact cafe I'm in now, just wasting time. It was fantastic.

Yesterday after dinner, we all decided to check out one of Iceland's many geothermal pools. They have so much heat around here, there are public pools all over the place that you can get into with a small fee. It was great. Plus there was a slide, which turned all of us college students into little children and we went down countless times. The only rule was that you had to shower beforehand, which was an experience. I've never seen so many naked women in my life. But it was fascinating to see how open and comfortable they seemed with their bodies. I feel like if the United States had these same practices, there wouldn't be so many issues with body image. But despite the awkwardness of the showers, the pool was great. We even tried out a hot tub that was 42 degrees Celsius. I don't know how hot that is in Fahrenheit, but it was HOT. I thought my skin was going to melt. Needless to say, I didn't last long there.

Today we had some rather boring talks, but we did get to go to a landfill. There were lots of birds and I thought it smelled like bacon. Everyone else had less-than-kind things to say about the smell. We also got to meet the woman who will be taking us around Iceland starting this weekend. She seems really great. Right now she's with another group of American students, so we went to both talks today with them. I'm honestly not a fan of the two groups merged since I think it just makes it too many people. Our group of 10 seems like the perfect number. But I think the merging is only for parts of this week.

Well, that's all for now. I should probably head back to the dorm soon to cook dinner. But first, a correction. Apparently the waterfall we saw on Friday isn't the largest in Europe. That's somewhere in northern Iceland. I don't think I listen to tour guides very well. Next time, I'll get my information straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment