Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Food Food Food

At my stay with my Icelandic family, I've finally been trying some of the more traditional Icelandic dishes. No more Subway and pizza for me.

One night we had pork chops with this amazing barbecue sauce. I probably could have eaten the sauce all by itself. We had potatoes, which are huge here and I'll probably end up eating some sort of potato at every meal. And we had this awesome side dish of chopped up granny smith apples with a sauce of sour cream and something else. It was incredibly delicious. The tartness of the apples went wonderfully with the sauce.

Monday night we had lamb balls. Or I think she said it was mixed meat, but probably mostly lamb. That was cooked with cabbage, which apparently I like. I didn't know that until then. Again, we had potatoes. The family also put this strawberry jam on the meat, but I tried it and it was much too sweet. We had actually had these lamb balls once before in Reykjavik, but these were much much better than the ones I ate there.

Last night we had a casserole. In it was cut up bread, ham, and pineapple. It was cooked in a creamy sauce with cheese on top. I didn't know it was pineapple until I got a bite and I was pleasantly surprised. That was enjoyable too.

So basically I don't think I've had a bad meal here yet. The family has been great and I'll be upset during the second half of next week when I have to go back to eating the cheapest meals possible. I must enjoy this as much as possible.

Today we're supposed to go on a hike across the fjord, but I don't think the weather is going to agree with us. But we don't have class, so I guess we'll end up doing some other group activity.

If I have enough time this afternoon, I may try and go to a cafe to upload some photos. I haven't actually tried it here at the house yet, so maybe it'll work. But I do have some photos I want to get up here. Later today, I'll get on that for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment